Volunteering is an important aspect of the Porter experience for both parents and students. Volunteering provides an opportunity for parents and students to be an active part of their school. As with all aspects being a part of the Mary G. Porter Traditional School family, volunteering focuses on the benefit of our students. This is why volunteering is mandatory for all Porter students and families. By committing ourselves to the success of the school, we are indicating to our students their worth.
All volunteers at Porter must have a VOLUNTEER AGREEMENT FORM signed and on file in the front office. This form came home on the first day of school, so most everyone completed it then. If you need to complete the form, please click HERE.
- Must volunteer 10 hours on behalf of each student enrolled.
- Any adult family member may perform "parent" volunteer service.
- Parent volunteer hours must be completed by the last day of school.
- All Parent/Guardian volunteer hours must be completed at Porter or on behalf of Porter programs. For example, a parent may assist a teacher by doing work at home. Hours spent volunteering for non-Porter programs will not be counted.
- Attendance and participation at workshops and meetings for school or PTA will be credited; attendance at social events will not. For example, attending a Family Fun Night is not volunteer service, while assisting in Family Fun Night preparation (planning, set up, clean up, etc.) is.
- Volunteers at school MUST check in at the front office and leave a government issued photo ID to get signed in and obtain a 'Volunteer' badge or sticker.
- If a volunteer does not sign out in the front office, no more than one hour will be awarded. Please make sure you sign out.
- A maximum of 3 volunteer hours, per student, may be earned for donations to a Porter function.
- Families may monitor their progress throughout the year by clicking on the 'Volunteers' link on the left menu and then click on 'Current Parent Volunteer Hours.'
- It is each family’s responsibility to ensure their work is properly reported.
- If a family does not meet the required number of volunteer hours by the published deadline, the student's Transfer to Porter will be revoked for the following academic year.
- Parent volunteer hours MUST be COMPLETED BY THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL